Our Proposal...

On this day of love, I thought I would share our proposal story... my side of it at least....
 
 
All I wanted was a letter...

Parker spoiled me our first year dating. He has a way with words and wrote the sweetest letters and love notes a girl could ever ask for! I was smitten. Then... the letters stopped for a few years...

Each birthday, anniversary, and holiday he would shower me with gifts (who's complaining?!) but alas... I still wouldn't receive my letter. I would beg him to forget the gifts and just write me something, anything! Well, the night of December 29th 2011 I got everything I asked for and more.

Parker was away for Christmas with his family and I was home in our apartment waiting anxiously for him to come back. We always spent Christmas apart, but it was still a long 10 days that we couldn't see eachother. We spoke often over the phone and he had been extra "lovey-dovey" the few days leading up to his proposal, but I thought nothing of it. I knew FOR SURE we would not be getting engaged any time soon. FOR SURE, I tell you.

Thursday night came. It was a night that would change my life and I had no idea it was coming. I was too busy complaining, whining, and being a brat because Parker wanted me to dress up. He was taking me out for a Christmas surprise. "Can't I just wear jeans?!?!??" I asked him repeatedly. 

With the patience of a saint, he assured me over and over "yes, you can wear jeans... but I prefer you wear a dress." I thought we were going to a show... he isn't very good at surprises... or so I thought.

A knock came at the door. It was him, finally! When I opened the door his smile was HUGE! "He must be happy I decided to wear a dress," I thought to myself. He told me I would have to wait a little bit longer to get my surprise and he asked if I wanted to open up some of the gifts his family got me.

Of course I did! The first was an envelope with a gift certificate from his mother. It was exactly what I wanted (thank you again, Wendes)! Next, was a big box with an envelope inside. Inside the box were some glass bowls from IKEA that were overlooked because all I could see was that the envelope had Parker's handwriting on the front.

MY LETTER!!!
(I was already crying)

My letter consisted of 4 different index cards filled with honest words of love and tenderness, most of which is too intimate to share with you all. What I will tell you, is that by card 3 I could feel the energy in the room shift. I knew something was happening. Tears will filling my eyes faster than I could read.

Card 4:
"I just want you to know that regardless of whether it is hurried or written, I will wholeheartedly love you for the rest of my life. Be my Partner, My Lover, My Wife. Please accept this ring and marry me. Love - now and always, Parker"
I looked up to see him on one knee, my canary diamond in his hand, asking me to be his wife. 

I have never been as happy as I was in that moment.
I hope to feel that way many more time in our lives together.
xoxo


16 comments

  1. Oh Susan,
    You just gave me goosebumps!
    What a perfect story to share on Valentine's Day!
    Letters and notes are special to me too!
    So happy for you! And me! Being engaged to the man of your dreams is intoxicating, isn't it?!
    HUGS!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe
    Celebrate and Join my 100th Follower Ultimate Giveaway: Skype Author Visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is SO SO SO wonderful!! Congrats!!! :) :) and Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!! What a great Valentine's Day story (that I got to read the day after...)! Umm... Mine *might* be a little less romantic...parking lot of Mc Donalds... but 22 years and counting!

    Thank you for sharing your sweet story with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 22 years!!! That is inspirational deedee! I am sure that McDonald's parking lot was extra romantic that night ;) thanks for leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on 10 years!! I can't wait until I can say I am married for even 1 year! I hope you and your husband have a romantic anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Heidi :) it is the abridged version in my own scattered way of thinking, ha! But yes, he is one of a kind and I am a lucky lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this little story! Can't wait to see that canary in person!

    Megan
    Mrs. Wheeler’s First Grade
    Mrs. Wheeler TpT

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was the sweetest thing ever!!! Thank you for sharing with all of us!!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet story! :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading this :) Thanks for making me smile!
    Michelle
    from Well, Michelle?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet!!! :) I LOVE hearing other engagement stories. I could read them for days.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top