Building Stamina Posters! D5: Chapter 2



 I am linking up with Mrs. Saoud over at Primary Graffiti  and Teaching it with Style for Chapter 2 of our Daily 5 book study!!

Go on over and link up - she has some awesome freebies :)

Hands down, my favorite part of chapter 2 is the idea of building STAMINA!

By the end of the year I know my first graders as smart, independent, ready-for-2nd grade geniuses!! It is easy to forget how they came into first grade... wide-eyed, eager, impatient, antsy, can't do anything for more than a minute without losing focus...They need to build stamina!
Duh, Susan, duh!

I often fall into the category of the teacher who models something once or twice and then expects my students to do it perfectly from then on out. Helllooooo [I hear myself saying] didn't I show you how to do this already?!?!!? I am excited to teach building stamina to my students and I will certainly use the analogy of an athlete. 
My students will learn that they working on their "reading muscles" as they practice, practice, practice building their stamina.

I made these cute little poster fors next year:


Click on them to head over to TpT to download for free!

See ya next time!
Susan

11 comments

  1. Susan, these are adorbs! I, too, find myself thinking, "I showed you that once in August; it's January, you've had a whole break to think it about it, now do it perfectly!!" If only...
    I guess there's a really good reason we keep hearing, "MODEL, MODEL, MODEL" from everyone in teacher education/development. Help them build that stamina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I know right! I hear it all the time.. now I need to DO it!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't pass up a hippo in a leotard!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, aren't these just the cutest?! Thanks a million for sharing!

    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are amazingly cute!! Thanks for sharing them!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is linked and ready to go! I just love your posters. Brilliant!!!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute posters! :) I think with everyone's cute ideas for posters in this Book Study, I may have a jungle in my room. Monkey's explaining the D5 Choices and now Hippos showing us stamina. Gotta love it.

    Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute posters! I use the athlete connection often in my classroom. I tell my students I wouldn't get out of bed tomorrow and expect to be able to run a marathon! Ok, maybe I do think I can sit around and blog all evening and still lose weight, but I'm working on my stamina!
    Thanks for sharing!~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those hippos are the CUTEST thing I have ever seen. I am going to grab them ASAP for my kiddos for next year! I am a new follower! I am new to blogging, check out mine!

    laughingwithlane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was looking through your Daily 5 entries and saw these hippos! LOVE them! However, I can't get them to come up to download? Any chance you can email them to me! LOVE your stuff! Thanks!
    Amy Burton
    mskeenan123@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love the hippos as well, but I am unable to get them to open. Do you mind sending them to my e-mail kathrynmarieperry@gmail.com? Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top