Writing Poetry in the Primary Grades!

National poetry month is in April, but we are starting early this year!

Last week we worked on the Common Core Standard: RL.1.4: students will identify words and phrases in stories or poems that suggest feelings or appeal to the senses.

Each morning we would read aloud some poems, practice visualizing the poem in our heads and then we would work together to identify the sensory and feelings words.

We read a lot of poems from the book, Shout! Little Poems that Roar! I bought this book a couple years ago from Scholastic and we just love it!
 After responding to these poems, we began writing poetry of our own!

We started off writing sensory poems about walking through a garden. 

What did we hear?  
"beards chirping" apparently

After using our senses our poems, we wrote the first drafts of our poems:
She has picked this poem as one of her favorites from the week, so she will be editing it so it can go in her poetry book!

To help guide us through writing poetry, I created a Poetry Unit that we will be using over the next few weeks:

 Here is a little sneak peek of what's inside:
(There are teacher examples, planning sheets, & final draft pages for each of the following)

{Sensory Poems}:

{Feeling Poems}:

{Form poems}:

I also have some poetry topic cards, poetry book cover pages, and more!
If you want to see more of this pack, make sure to download the preview at my TPT store.

I put my poetry pack on sale through Monday!

Happy writing!

6 comments

  1. So. Excited. About. This. ONE!!!!!!!!!!! I need all the help I can get in the poetry department. Suz, you have truly outdone yourself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollface, I heart ya!! I hope you can use it :)

      Delete
  2. Glad I could help, Lindsay!! My kids are LOVING writing poetry - I hope yours do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are talking about poems as part of our Genre Unit! This book looks great, thanks for sharing it! Also, we're checking out your poetry packet. Looks like it has lots of great resource to guide our kiddos through writing their own poetry.

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    firstgradebuddies2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am purchasing this tonight! We start our poetry exemplar text a week from tomorrow and this will help me so much!!!!!!



    faithfulinfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top