Inventive Spelling Freebie!



Back-to-school night is tomorrow and I have soooo much to do to get ready!

I thought I would share a quick freebie before I finish stressing out getting my ducks in a row for the big night!

I don't know about your BTS night, but ours is solely informational! No kids, no fun, no games, just me, the parents and the 4-1-1. Nerve-wracking. I get very nervous in front of crowds. Especially crowds full of "grown-ups". I turn into a full-blown Chandler Bing, awkard jokes and all. Last year, I managed to call a dad overweight when sitting in the tiny first grade chairs. I don't know how it happens.... it just does.... *sigh*.

The first grade team gives out a whole packet about our homework policy, nightly reading folders, report cards/grading information and our brand-new snack policy. Bla bla bla, I have to get rid of my Kiss Your Brain Jar, bla bla bla. Tears.

My colleague, Janie, gave me this letter a couple years ago to send home to parents to help explain inventive spelling. I loved it, so with her permission, I gave it a little re-vamp and I am offering it up to you all as a freebie!

Here is mine:
If you click the image you can download the editable powerpoint to fill in your own name and change the date.

Enjoy!

By the way.... don't think I haven't noticed that the little number in the bottom left corner has surpassed 500 - W-W-W-WHAT??!? Crazy! I have a FANTASTIC giveaway in the works with some of my favorite bloggers in the world! Click [here] to join the fun!


21 comments

  1. That letter is such a great idea! We're just starting to write more and I'm putting smiley faces on papers that parents may not think are so smiley...due to the spelling! I think I'll be sending this note home with my families this week!
    Thanks and good luck with BTS Night!

    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel - I alwayyysss have parents telling me their children can't spell anything and it is such a struggle for them as parents... I just remind them to let it go! This letter has been a help the past couple years, so I hope it helps you too! Thanks for the good luck!

      Delete
  2. Love the letter! Thanks for sharing!
    Why do you have to get rid of your kiss your brain jar?

    Pixy Stix and Teacher Tricks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our new snack policy is SOSOSO strict and our school could get a huge fine if they see unhealthy snacks in the classroom. I am just going to replace my hershey kisses with stickers or something... they've just been very helpful the past few weeks!

      Oh wellllll :(

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Stacy!! Thanks for the bloggy love! If you download it through googledocs it SHOULD open as a powerpoint so you can change your name and the date. Let me know if it doesn't work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol! I'm glad it's not just me, Tania! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this letter!! I might share it tonight since our PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES are already beginning at week 4. Which I think is just a tad bit reeee-diculous!! (I digress)But thanks for sharing :)

    ❤ -Stephanie
    Falling Into First



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already?!? whhhhaaat??? That is ridiculous! Ours got moved up too, but not that soon!

      Delete
  6. Good luck to you too!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Lisa!! I'll be swinging by yours NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As an educator & parent,I find this very unprofessional and disappointing. I understand the point of the letter, but think there are better ways to demonstrate the concept. The district in which I work has many residents who are not yet proficient in English. A letter like this would "go over their heads" and possibly confuse them. I believe educators should always project a professional image and this strikes me as trying to be cutesy.

    I am not insulting you. I am just expressing a difference of opinion. I am aware there are many ways of looking at things. I certainly appreciate what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an educator and a parent I think this is a really fun way to show parents how kids are developing. I don't think it is unprofessional at all. Maybe you feel it would be innapropriate for your population of parents, but that does not hold true for everyone.

      Corinna
      Surfin' Through Second

      Delete
  9. Your letter Is similar to one that I sent home to parents 20 years ago when I taught kindergarten. I had gone to a workshop where the presenter sent an inventive spelling letter to parents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. why can't I understand the "insistints" part? I'd love to send this home to parents but I need to understand that sentence. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. instincts! Lol, I had to ask my friend who wrote it when I first read it too!

      Delete
    2. Oops, the word is "Insistence", not "instincts"! I'll blame auto-correct for this one :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing this letter! I'll definitely use it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is GREAT! I use one that is similar every year...love your version, too! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where did you get this cute boarder?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great letter!

    I'm a teacher in the Netherlands and I teach the little ones as they're learning how to read and write.

    I translated the letter in Dutch (well, invented spelling dutch) and will hand it out to the parents of my new group of kids next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! What font did you use? I want the date/signature to match the text. (Yes, I am slightly OCD.)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top