Classroom Makeover - Stage 1

I finally got into my teensy weensy classroom to prepare!

Take a look at the *before* pictures:
This is from the doorway into my room...
"Wait, Susan, there has to be more room than that?! What about if you turn to the right? or the left?"
No...nope, if you turn to the right there's not any more room. To the left is another foot of space.
No secret corners, no cubbies, no sink, no windows.... not even ONE built-in cabinet.
Essentially... it is a jail cell.

Oh, and we have to take EVERYTHING off the walls before summer ends, every staple and pushpin included. 

Okay, now that you are feeling bad for me, here are some more pictures:
This is the other scenic view of my room, once I started unpacking of course!
(Yes, that is my sandal in the middle of the room, no I didn't know it was in the picture until now, and EWWW, ya I walk around barefoot in my jail cell.)

I like to dump everything on the table before I organize. Makes me feel better to see how messy it can get first. And, I blame Hadar for the excessive amounts of foam dice I am now the sole owner of.

  TA DA! Something is done!
I put up Katie's Alphabet cards and they make me smile!! I need all the help I can get in this little classroom and these are so bright and cheery and the clipart is so cute!

The other thing I worked on was my behavior clip chart for the year.
Our school mascot is the owl so I found this adorrrrrable little pack from Nicole over at First Grade Owls!
 At first I thought he was cute... but then the more I look at him, the creepier he becomes....
I am going to sleep on this one and see how I feel when I open my door & see his face tomorrow.

Welp,
There is no air in our building and it has been 107 everyday.. so needless to say I am hot and tired and CRANNNKKKYYYYY... so before I drive you crazy, I'm going to lay down and relax!!

Before you go, make sure to head over to Kelley's blog and get yourself a pen pal for the year!!!

More pictures to come in the upcoming days!


16 comments

  1. Your room is really takin' shape girl. Katie's signs and your little owl are darling! Thanks so much for the shout out. I heart ya!

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I sure did handle that butcher paper! And yes, Mr. Owl is depressed his habitat is so small and he is so large :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is looking fab so far!! I can't wait to see the final result!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. The second the kids leave, those puppies come flying off!! Sometimes I can't even wait for them to leave :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan! Do you teach in Vegas, by chance? I seem to recognize the room -- it looks like the one I taught in for 7 years! The no-window part is so hard! I just found your blog and am so excited to see your classroom unfold -- can't wait for more pics! I LOVE the alphabet cards -- I marched right over to TpT and grabbed them! Hang in there with the heat. I was working in my room today, same thing. Yuck. Can't wait for more pictures! It is off to a great start!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe my room is smaller than yours...haven't posted pictures yet but you'll have to come look when I do next week. But, I'm only teaching reading/math in my room...and it's only about 10 students so I feel for you! At least you've got a good start!!
    Cheryl
    SpottedAroundtheSchool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo! I think I'll wait until I have better pics and then I will definitely link up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Brigid! I will be swinging by once I have more (and BETTER) pics up!!! I can't wait to see everyone's classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those bins from Dollar Tree... I have milllllionnnsss!!!! Thank you :) I always strive for the cutest jail cell on the block! ha! I will be having many more pics up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to say that I think your owl is adorable! I wish I could do that with butcher paper. So stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi! It took a longgg time, but I was getting so nit-picky I had to stop!

      Delete
  11. My room is as small or smaller. Its actually a full classroom cut in half with a fake wall. Please tell me you will post pictures of your space saving ways.. I have no idea what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what mine is too! Horrible!! I am going to try to finish it this weekend and then I will have more pics up!

      Delete
  12. I just discovered your fantastic blog! Your post brought me back to 1995 and my very first year of teaching in Las Vegas! When I first saw my school (after moving to LV from Washington state) I thought it looked like a prison. The barbed wire surrounding the building didn't help! I too was in a tiny, windowless room and really had to be creative with space. I wish I had had your blog for inspiration. I can't wait to see your room all finished!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top